The organizers of Marshall County Family Week hope people will put down their cell phones and get off the couch this week. A week-long slate of activities is planned, with the culmination of events this Saturday at the Benton branch of the Marshall County Public Library and Mike Miller Park.
The mission of family week, which began in 1996, is simple — Encourage families to spend more time together.
The activity schedule for this week includes:
• Tuesday, Sept. 7: Family Game Night — Get the family together for a night of cards, board games, outdoor games, or even “Minute to Win It” activities; check out a game from the local library branch, or pick up a puzzle from the Dinner Table Project.
• Wednesday, Sept. 8: Family Craft Night: Pull out the glue and glitter to make fun at-home crafts with the family. Use #MCFAMILYFUN when posting pictures of the fun art and craft projects.
• Thursday, Sept. 9: No Homework night — Celebrate No Homework night with Four Rivers Behavioral Health and Marshall county Family Resource and Youth Service Centers in a Dinner Table Project Pizza Night. Each pizza kit will include an apron, placemat, recipe and ingredients to make a pizza as a family. Sign up is on the Family Week Facebook page.
• Friday, Sept. 10: Family Football Night — Support the Marshall County High School football team by attending their away game in Calloway County at 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 11: Family Day —The Marshall County Public library in Benton will host Baby and Me at 10 a.m. and will hold a Family Storytime at 2 p.m. A free Family Day Celebration will begin at 6 p.m. at Mike Miller Park. A Movie in the Park will feature 101 Dalmatians and multiple organizations will be on site with snacks, drinks, face painting, crafts and more.
More information can be found on the Marshall County Family Week Facebook page.