The Calvert City Lions Club is sponsoring an American Red Cross blood drive Monday at Calvert City Elementary School gymnasium, 563 Fifth Ave. SE on. The drive will begin at noon and continue until 6 p.m. Everyone is encouraged to donate blood.
The American Red Cross has an ongoing critical need for blood donations amid coronavirus uncertainties.
The agency greatly appreciates the generosity of the public to help stock hospital shelves for patients in need. But the crisis isn’t over.
There is no certain end date in this fight against coronavirus and the Red Cross needs the help of blood donors and blood drive hosts to maintain a sufficient blood supply for weeks to come.
Blood drives continue to be canceled at an alarming rate — nearly 10,000 so far resulting in about 300,000 fewer blood donations.
Each Red Cross blood drive and donation center follows the highest standards of safety and infection control. To ensure the health of employees, volunteers and staff, precautions include:
• Checking temperatures of staff and donors before entering a drive to make sure they are healthy.
• Providing hand sanitizer for use before the drive, as well as throughout the donation process.
• Following social distancing between donors including entry, donation and refreshment areas.
• Routinely disinfecting surfaces, equipment and donor-touched areas.
• Wearing gloves, and changing gloves often.
• Using sterile collection sets and an aseptic scrub for every donation.
Blood donation is essential to ensuring the health of our communities. The need for blood is constant, and volunteer donors are the only source of blood for those in need.
• Every day patients rely on lifesaving blood transfusions including those who need surgery, victims of car accidents and other emergencies, or patients suffering from cancer.
• Right now, people are following public health guidance to keep their families safe—and that includes contributing to a readily available supply of blood for hospitals.
This is the time to take care of one another. If you are healthy and feeling well, please make an appointment now to donate in the days and weeks ahead by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Walk-ins are welcome if appointments are available.
As a special promotion, come to give blood July 6th for an exclusive WONDER WOMAN 1984 T-shirt, while supplies last. Also door prizes from local businesses will be awarded to eligible donors.