EDDYVILLE – Most sports utilize the cliché “a game of inches.” In bass fishing, it’s a game of ounces.
In Saturday’s Region 1 KHSAA high school tournament out of Kuttawa Harbor Marina, Douglas Colson and Zach Colbert of Trigg County took first place over Cameron Brooks and Chase Geary of Muhlenberg County by one ounce, with a winning catch of 20 pounds, 11 ounces to the runner-up team’s 20-10.
The two schools took the top four spots, with Jacob Bowles and Hunter Hampton of Muhlenberg third with 20-1 and Trigg’s Austin Greene and Skylar Pool fourth at 19-1.
Peyton Porter and Shane Barrett of Marshall County rounded out the top five, with five bass weighing 17-11.
Two other Marshall teams qualified to advance to the state tournament April 25-26 at Kentucky Dam Marina in Gilbertsville. Adam Fitch and Bailey Napier were seventh with four fish weighing 16-13 and Austin Wade and Barrett Washburn finished eighth with five bass weighing 14-5.
Marshall County’s James Gibbs and Aidan Cox, who took third place in last year’s region tourney, slipped to 26th place this year with one fish weighing 3-14.
Two other Marshall teams were entered. Flint Lovett and Colton Story were 27th with two fish totaling 3-14 and Nate Jones and Patrick Caruthers tied for 31st with Lyon County’s Cole Strack and Cole Kaminski. Each team caught a single 2-pound, 1-ounce bass.
Calloway County claimed ninth and 10th place, with Nathan Camp and Brandon Falwell boating a catch of 12-14 while Cole Emerson and Zack Martin weighed a sack of 11-6.
Camp and Falwell finished 22nd in last year’s regional.
Last year’s region champs, Trevor Salyers and Cody Jackson of Calloway County, barely missed the cut to advance to the state tourney. They were 15th with two fish weighing 7-14, less than a pound behind fellow Lakers Jared Phillips and Nick Procter, who claimed the final transfer spot with a catch weighing 8-10.
Others advancing to state were John Wilson Coots and Zachary McElfresh of Logan Co., 11th, 9-9; Cole Noffsinger and Billy Hardison, Muhlenberg Co., 12th, 9-8; and Jon Clarc Todd and Brennan Summers, Logan Co., 13th, 9-2.
Thirty-three boats competed in the event, with the top 14 teams qualifying to advance to the state tournament.
Colson, teamed with Cameron Kniaz, failed to advance to state last year. Colbert did not compete in last year’s tournament.
Kniaz teamed with Joshua Saupe and placed 23rd Saturday.
Geary advances for the second year in a row after taking ninth place in the 2013 regional with partner Billy Hardison. Brooks, who fished last year with Eddie Keeling, did not qualify for state.
Muhlenberg’s Bowles and Hampton took their second straight top-five finish. The duo were third last year.
Also advancing for the second straight year were Trigg County’s Greene and Mason Shelton, who teamed last year to finish second in the region. This year, Shelton shared a boat with anglers Drake Oliver and Mallory Mize and finished sixth.
Region 1 KHSAA
Bass Fishing Tourney
1. Douglas Colson, Zach Colbert, Trigg Co., 5 fish, 20 pounds, 11 ounces
2. Cameron Brooks, Chase Geary, Muhlenberg Co., 5, 20-10
3. Jacob Bowles, Hunter Hampton, Muhlenberg Co., 5, 20-2
4. Austin Greene, Skylar Pool, Trigg Co., 5, 19-1
5. Peyton Porter, Shane Barrett, Marshall Co., 5, 17-11
6. Mason Shelton, Drake Oliver, Mallory Mize, Trigg Co., 5, 17-10
7. Adam Fitch, Bailey Napier, Marshall Co., 4, 16-13
8. Austin Wade, Barrett Washburn, Marshall Co., 5, 14-5
9. Nathan Camp, Brandon Falwell, Calloway Co., 5, 12-14
10. Cole Emerson, Zack Martin, Calloway Co., 4, 11-6
11. John Wilson Coots, Zachary McElfresh, Logan Co., 3, 9-9
12. Cole Noffsinger, Billy Hardison, Muhlenberg Co., 3, 9-8
13. Jon Clarc Todd, Brennan Summers, Logan Co., 3, 9-2
14. Jared Phillips, Nick Proctor, Calloway Co., 3, 8-10
15. Cody Jackson, Trevor Salyers, Calloway Co., 2, 7-14
16. Austin Moore, Zack Sowders, Warren East, 3, 7-2
17. Dillon Rager, Austin Duvall, Warren East, 2, 7-1
18. Tyler Martin, Peyton Martin, Lyon Co., 2, 6-7
19. Brandon Bogard, Colton Jennings, Calloway Co., ,2, 6-0
20. Hunter Allen, Jacob Green, Trigg Co., 2, 5-10
21. Taylor Harris, Brandon Payne, Muhlenberg Co., 1, 5-8
22. Avery Ellis, Dalton Nelson, Lyon Co., 1, 5-1
23. Cameron Kniaz, Joshua Saupe, Trigg Co., 2, 4-14
24. Jacob Arnold, Ty Houchin, Logan Co., 2, 4-5
25. Clay Murphy, Zach Groce,Warren East, 2, 4-3
26. James Gibbs, Aidan Cox, Marshall Co., 1, 3-14
27. Colton Story, Flint Lovett, Marshall Co., 2, 3-14
28. Alexis Bell, Kayla Hust, Logan Co., 1, 2-7
29. Nathan Flener, Drew Mendoza, Muhlenberg Co., 1, 2-6
30. Isiah Abbott, Kaitlyn Huddleston, Jordan Adams, Austin Workman, Dawson Springs, 1, 2-4
31. Cole Strack, Cole Kaminski, Lyon Co., 1, 2-1
(tie) Nate Jones, Patrick Caruthers, Marshall Co., 1, 2-1
33. Chris Kelley, Robert Larose, Brandon Mitchell, Calloway Co., no catch
33. Zac McKinney, Shaun Manning, Logan County, no catch
33. Jerred Long, Logan Co., no catch