The icy weather last weekend delayed the Calvert City Christmas Parade until this Friday night at 6 and the Kentucky Dam Village Breakfast with Santa event until Saturday morning at 7.
There is still plenty of holiday cheer to go around though, with the Dicken’s Christmas event scheduled for Saturday.
Visitors to Dickens Alley can expect to step back into merry ole England on Dec. 14, according to Larry Krouse, one of the organizers of the 6th annual Dickens Christmas Festival and Parade, sponsored by Benton Main Street and the City of Benton.
Streetlights downtown will be off, and in their place only lanterns and candles will light the alley, the only alley left in Marshall County, according to Krouse. It stretches from 11th to 12th Street, from Antiques Etc. to the Plaza.
Many local folk will be dressed in characters from “A Christmas Carol,” the famous novella by Charles Dickens, including Ebenezer Scrooge and Tiny Tim. Krouse said no, the Ghost of Christmas Past will not be there, but perhaps next year. They do hope to conjure up all the spirits of a Christmas from the early Victorian Era.
Some illumination along the alley will also be provided by the alley’s street barrels, though most people will probably appreciate their heat more than their light.
Visitors will also be warmed by free food and libation. Hot chocolate, hot cider, homemade bread, and pork from a roast pig will be available from the “shopkeepers” of the alley.
This is the second year for the expanded festivities, Krouse said, which started out with the alley events only. Many other activities are planned [see sidebar], culminating in the parade, starting at 5:15 and the opening of Dickens Alley, at 6:30.
In addition to the City of Benton and Benton Main Street, local merchants, churches, the electric company and the public library have all contributed to help make the event a success, Krouse said.
Dickens Christmas Festival Schedule:
• 2 p.m. Cookies with Santa – GOP building, downtown Benton
• 4 p.m.Power Wheels Car Show – Court Square, downtown Benton
• 4:30 p.m.Parade Line-up (participants only) – Parking lot, N. Main, next to Mediacom office
• 4:45 p.m.MCHS Choir – Main Street stage, downtown Benton
• 5 p.m.Charles Dickens & Friends – Court Square, downtown Benton
• 5:15 p.m.“The Light Before Christmas” Parade – N. Main St., headed south to downtown, turning on 13th to Poplar St.
• 6:30 p.m.“Dickens Alley” opens – Downtown between 10th and 12th streets