Tribune-Courier News Reporter
The 10th annual Marshall County Family Week kicks off Friday, providing families throughout the region an opportunity to spend more time with each other – an opportunity often squandered because of the hectic nature of everyday life.
Wendy Baxter, project administrator of Marshall County Economic Development, said this year’s family week will be bigger than any previous year and will have several new additions to the programming.
“We’ve added a dinner, concert, movie night, pizza party and perhaps the biggest thing we’ve added is the color run on Sept. 14,” she said. “The events last year were packed so we wanted to provide even more events this year.”
Family Week begins on Friday and ends on Saturday, Sept. 14.
Each day throughout the week there are events hosted by various businesses and organizations throughout the community.
“We have such a wonderful community,” she said. “Everyone in the community – people, businesses, churches – they all come together to make this event special.”
Baxter said the event was started 10 years ago as a way for people to focus on their families and had around 300 participants. Now, the Family Fun Day at the park brings in more than 3,000 people.
“Because the economy is in trouble people are looking for ways to have fun with their families at little or no cost – so we want to keep it free,” she said. “Two years ago the event at the library was so big that we began splitting the events among all three branches of the library.”
Baxter said she hopes the events this year bring in even more people than what they are expecting so next year’s event can be even bigger.
Friday, Sept. 6
• Responders Dinner – Kentucky Dam Convention Center, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 7
• Jeff Billingsley presentation – MCHS Performing Arts Center, 10 a.m.
• Free Family Concert – Fern Fest – Memorial Park Pavilion, Calvert City, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 8
• Family Movie Night – Calvert City Drive-In, Smurfs 2 and Wolverine
Monday, Sept. 9
• Family Library Night – All 3 MC libraries, 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Benton – Furry Friends Fiesta
Hardin – Fur, Scales and Tales
Calvert City – Star Wars
Tuesday, Sept. 10
• Bark in the Park – Mike Miller County Park, Main Pavilion, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 12
• Family Outdoors Night – Clarks River Wildlife Refuge Pond, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 13
• Family Fun Pizza Party – Gatti’s Pizza, Draffenville
Satuday, Sept. 14
• Family Fun Day – Mike Miller County Park, soccer fields, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Color Run – Mike Miller County Park, 9 a.m.