Attic fire damages Benton apartment
Jan 11, 2013 | 2077 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
–Alan Reed/ Tribune-Courier
–Alan Reed/ Tribune-Courier
BENTON — An attic fire damaged an apartment on Poplar Street on Friday afternoon.

The Benton Fire Department received a call of a structural fire at 1308 Poplar around 2:30. When they arrived, they found smoke escaping from an attic vent.

"It was an electrical fire that appears to have started in the attic," Benton Fire Chief Harry Green said. "It appears the wiring may have caught some insulation on fire."

Green said the apartment is owned by Frank Miller. Firefighters were able to cover the inside of the home to minimize water damage, though said some water may have damaged the building. He described smoke damage in the residential area as none, adding the fire was confined to the attic, and did not do major damage to the frame.

A relative of the tenant identified the resident as Buffy Kidd, who was not at home at the time. He added the apartment had recently suffered a sewage back-up and flooding and though fan dryers used to dry the floor could have pulled additional current that started the fire.

Green said no one was injured in the fire.
Click for Benton, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis