DRAFFENVILLE – Marshall County’s boys’ and girls’ soccer teams celebrated their seasons with an awards ceremony and banquet Nov. 7 at the high school.
Award winners for the boys’ team were:
- Peter Northcutt, Hustle Award
- Tanner Jessup, Most Improved
- Wes Mason, Stephen Poole Award
- Brock Herndon, Defensive MVP
- Nathan Solomon, Offensive MVP
- Tyler McKenty, Most Valuable Player
Lady Marshal award winners were:
- Tory Fehrenbacher and Mariah McKenty, Offensive MVP
- Melanie McKendree, Defensive MVP and Most Improved
- Maile Lawton, Hustle Award
- Savana Smothers, Team Leadership Award
- Lexie McCrory, Team Spirit
Coaches Andy Pagel and Michael Boone presided over the evenng.
Pagel, who took over the team after longtme coach Don Walker retired, said he hoped the six seniors didn’t feel “caught up in the transition of Coach Pagel’s first year.”
Playing their final seasons were Tanner Jessup, Chris Maier, Wesley Mason, Tyler McKenty, Peter Northcutt and Riley Solomon.
The seniors, Pagel said, steadied their young teammates. The Marshals saw as many as three freshmen and five sophomores on the field at a time.
Boone presented awards to the Lady Marshals and commented on the season.
“It was a roller coaster of a year and certainly did not end the way we would have liked,” he said.
The team, a perennial contender for the region championship, was eliminated in district play this year.
“We were snake bitten by key injuries early and some continued through much of the season,” Boone said.
Seniors who finished their careers included Tory Fehrenbacher, Peyton Holland, Melanie McKendree and Lauren Miller.
“We will certainly miss their contributions on the field, but more importantly their character as young women,” Boone said.