Marshals take 3rd place with comeback victory
Jan 03, 2012 | 3256 views | 0 0 comments | 23 23 recommendations | email to a friend | print
—David Green/Tribune-Courier
MCHS standout, Chase Clark battles opponent from Harrison County in opening-round play.
—David Green/Tribune-Courier MCHS standout, Chase Clark battles opponent from Harrison County in opening-round play.
By David Green

Tribune-Courier Sports

MT. STERLING – A 23-0 run, spanning more than five minutes over parts of two quarters, propelled Marshall County to victory in the third-place game of the Gateway Holiday Tournament Friday at the Montgomery County High School Arena.

The win came against Bryan Station of Lexington by a 68-57 score.

The Marshals knocked off Harrison County 62-46 in Wednesday’s opening round and dropped a 70-59 decision to host Montgomery County on Thursday.

Chase Clark represented the Marshals on the all-tournament team. The 6-2 junior forward scored 55 points in three games for an 18.3 average. He also had 20 rebounds, seven steals and two blocked shots.

The Marshals suffered their first defeat after opening the season with 10 straight wins against Montgomery County and appeared headed for a second straight loss when the surge carried them past Bryan Station on Friday.

They open play in the calendar year tonight at Lone Oak, bringing a No. 12 ranking in the state by along with their 11-1 record.

A pair of Fourth District games are on tap later in the week, Friday night at Calloway County and Saturday night at home against Community Christian. The Marshals have one win in district play, against Murray.

Lone Oak is 7-7, while Calloway is 4-7, 1-0 in district play.

Community Christian, 5-3 and 1-1, already has three overtime games under its belt, with wins over Carlisle County and Fourth District opponent Murray and a loss to Hickman County.

Marshall County 62

Harrison County 46

MT. STERLING – Marshall County traded the lead back and forth with Harrison County in the early moments and then pulled away from a 6-6 tie to score an easy win, their 10th straight, in a first-round game Wednesday.

The Thorobreds fell into an 18-6 hole and never got closer than 10 points, at 23-13 in the second quarter, the rest of the way. Marshall County led 41-18 at halftime, 52-33 at the third quarter stop and then coasted the victory as Harrison County took a 17-10 advantage in the final period.

Chase Clark led a balanced, widespread Marshals attack with 11 points. No one else scored in double figures, but Cole Nelson and Chase York had nine points each and Chase Buchanan and Austin Rentfrow chipped in eight apiece and Peter Northcutt had seven.

Dillion Pulliam and Caleb Ford had 10 points each for Harrison County, which dropped to 6-5 with the loss.

Montgomery County 70

Marshall County 59

MT. STERLING – Montgomery County, which scored the first two points of the game on a pair of technical-foul free throws 55 seconds into the game, added 30 more points from the charity stripe en route to a win over the Marshals in the semifinals Thursday in the Barn.

Chase Clark scored a game-high 21 points for the Marshals, followed by Chase York with 16 and Chase Buchanan with 12. Three Marshals – starters Clark and Cole Nelson and reserve Peter Northcutt – fouled out.

Omar Prewitt led Montgomery County with 18, 13 of the points coming on free throws for the highly regarded 6-6 junior. Jake Handshoe and Brandon Fruth scored 15 apiece.

The Indians built a 14-7 lead on a backdoor cut and layup by Darrius Jones with 2:01 to play in the opening period, but the Marshals got two three-point shot attempts in the final three seconds. York’s shot missed and Buchanan stole it from Montgomery County rebounder Handshoe and drained a buzzer-beater to cut the lead to 14-10.

Marshall County trailed by only two, 23-21, at halftime, but Montgomery County stretched the lead to 41-32 after three quarters and began to pull away, hitting 21 of 29 free throws in the final eight minutes.

Marshall County 68

Bryan Station 57

MT. STERLING – After his team suffered its first loss of the season, Marshals coach Gus Gillespie defined the question for his players: How do you bounce back?

For the first 16 minutes of Friday’s contest against Bryan Station in the Arena, the Marshals were getting high marks for resiliency. They led 13-12 at the first quarter stop and trailed by only four, 31-27, at halftime.

They stumbled after halftime, but made up for the slump with a 23-0 surge that carried them from a 47-35 deficit to a 58-47 lead. The gap would prove to be the final margin of victory.

Chase Clark scored 23 points to lead all scorers and also pulled down a team-high 10 rebounds. Cole Nelson added 17 points, Austin Rentfrow 11 and Chase York 10.

Marcus Williams paced the Defenders with 18.

Byran Station appeared to have things its own way when Williams staked the Defenders to their largest lead of the game, a dozen points, with 1:43 to go in the third period.

But Bryan Station did not score again until nearly five minutes of playing time later, when Josh Owsley hit a three-point shot that temporarily cut the Marshals’ lead to eight points at 58-50.

But the damage of the long drought was done, and the Defenders got no closer than six points.

Bryan Station dropped to 3-10 with the loss.
Click for Benton, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis