Lily and Parker
May 08, 2012 | 2569 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
–Britney DeShea Photography
Lily and Parker get ready to celebrate their first birthday party in their theme outfits.
view slideshow (4 images)
By Katherine Doty

Tribune-Courier features editor

In December 2010 Tracey and Jason Edwards found out that they were going to be the parents of twins. Filled with excitement, the couple couldn’t wait to have their lives be forever changed with the extension of their family.

Tracey soon began to research all about twin pregnancy and learned that pre-term labor and delivery was commom. “I knew I was in a high risk pregnancy and would more than likely experience preterm labor,” Tracey said. The NICU staff at Western Baptist Hospital met with the couple to discuss, prepare and to answer questions if there was an early delivery. “We were really prepared, but scared,” she continued.

Just a few months into her pregnancy, Tracey had to visit the hospital a couple times for minor bleeding and steroid shots. Her third trip was in early May and a much more intense visit. The doctors told Jason that Tracey had dilated to 3cm and was in labor. Tracey had to receive another round of steroid shots and was started on magnesium to stop the labor. Once the labor stopped, Tracey and the babies were doing much better, but they still remained in the hospital for another two weeks.

Three days later, 32 weeks shy of the delivery date, Tracey and Jason were back in the hospital and in labor. “The time we arrived until the babies were born was less than an hour,” Jason recalls. Lily Grace Edwards was born at 10:38 a.m. at 4lbs 1oz and 16 3⁄4 inches long, Parker Wyatt Edwards was born at 10:39 a.m. and was 3lbs 7oz and 15 1⁄2 inches long. Jason texted friends and family, “Two babies crying, happy times!”

The doctors at Western Baptist Hospital were able to stabilize Parker with IV’s, oxygen, a feeding tube, and some basic fluids. Lily was having a more difficult time. The NICU doctors and nurses informed Tracey and Jason that Lily would need additional attention and a special ventilator and she would be better suited at a different hospital.

Once Lily was stable enough she was airlifted to Kosairs Children’s hospital in Louisville. She remained in critical condition for several days with 24 hour care. She had encountered ecoli in her blood stream that caused pneumonia and was a very sick little girl. However, Parker and Lily never stopped fighting and both became much stronger. Once Lily was nearly two weeks old, Tracey and Jason were finally able to hold her. On June 24 they were able to take Parker home and one week later Lily came home.

Lily and Parker were chosen by Western Baptist Hospital to be the Ambassador babies for the 2012 March of Dimes/March for Babies walk that took place on Saturday. “We found out in February and we’re just very humbled and honored. It’s all about the babies,” Tracey said. Jason and Tracey ended up selling over 71 shirts to support the walk. “We’ve had a huge support staff the entire way”

Lily and Parker were released from the doctors to leave their house only two weeks ago. In two more weeks they will celebrate their first birthdays.
Click for Benton, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis