KUTTAWA – Calloway County’s Cody Jackson and Trevor Salyers were the winners of the first Region 1 high school bass fishing tournament Saturday on Lake Barkley.
The two Laker angles lead a 14-team contingent who qualified for the inaugural KHSAA state tournament April 26-27 on Kentucky Lake.
Also qualifying for the state tourney are the runner-up team of Mason Shelton and Austin Greene of Trigg County and the third-place pair of James Gibbs and Aidan Fitch of Marshall County, plus 11 other teams, including Logan Thomas and Nate Jones of Marshall County, who placed 10th.
Six teams of two anglers represented Marshall County in the tourney.
Marshals coach Luke Anderson noted that the whopping, 20-plus-pound catches that had marked the events leading up to KHSAA competition did not forecast what would happen once regional tournaments got under way.
“As the regional tournament approached, water temperatures eased near 60 degrees, and the bass were on the move toward shallow spawning areas,” Anderson said. “Recent rains in the area and up river swelled Lake Barkley well over summer pool, and anglers were able to catch several bass shallow around flooded bushes and trees.
“Unlike the preceding tournaments, larger bass seemed hard to come by as the influx of water spread the fish out, making them much more difficult to locate.”
One of only three teams to bring in a limit of five bass, the winning Calloway County duo tipped the scales with a day’s catch of 15 pounds, 10 ounces.
Salyers, who grew up fishing on Barren River Lake in central Kentucky, compared that experience to Saturday’s tourney.
“Conditions on Barkley are similar, maybe giving us a slight advantage today,” he said.
Salyers is a second-year member of the Laker team.
Shelton and Greene had four bass, but the weight of the fish, 12-9, edged Gibbs and Fitch, whose five fish weighed 12-4.
Trigg County’s Adam Fitch had the biggest fish, weighing 6-7. He and partner Hunter Allen move on to state with a two-fish total of 9-1, good for eighth place.
Results of the KHSAA Region 1 Bass Fishing Tournament Saturday on Lake Barkley out of Kuttawa Harbor Marina; top 14 teams qualify for the state tournament:
1. Calloway County, Trevor Salyers-Cody Jackson, 5 fish, 15 pounds, 10 ounces
2. Trigg County, Mason Shelton-Austin Greene, 4, 12-9
3. Marshall County, James Gibbs-Aidan Cox, 5, 12-4
4. Lyon County, Tyler Martin-Hannah Johnson, 5, 11-15
5. Muhlenberg County, Jacob Bowles-James Hampton, 4, 10-5
6. Lyon County, Cole Strack-Dalton Nelson, 4, 10-4
7. Calloway County, Dillon Starks-Bracken Robertson, 3, 10-1
8. Trigg County, Adam Fitch-Hunter Allen, 2, 9-1
9. Muhlenberg County, Chase Geary-Billy Hardison, 3, 8-3
10. Marshall County, Logan Thomas-Nate Jones, 4, 8-2
11. Trigg County, Shelby Johnson-Nick Summers, 3, 7-7
12. Muhlenberg County, Zach Warner-Ridge Porter, 2, 6-10
13. Muhlenberg County, Michale Engle-Cole Noffsinger, 2, 5-11
14. Warren East, Dillon Rager-Austin Duvall, 2, 5-4
15. Marshall County, Colton Story-Flint Lovett, 2, 4-14
16. Calloway County, Jesse Vaught-Tyler Schanbacher, 2 4-14
17. Murray High School, Lucas Anderson-Coleman Riley, 2, 4-8
18. Warren East, Stice Frint-Clay Murphy, 1, 3-13
19. Warren East, Dakota Beckmann-Hunter Beckmann, 1, 3-2
20. Calloway County, Dalton Cooksey-Reid Finley, 1, 3-1
21. Warren East, Austin Moore-Zack Sowders, 1, 2-11
22. Calloway County, Nathan Camp-Brandon Falwell, 1, 2-5
23. Calloway County, Austin Jackson, 1, 2-2
24. Marshall County, Drew Mayer-Bailey Napier
25. Muhlenberg County, Cameron Brooks-Eddie Keeling
26. Trigg County, Douglas Colson-Cameron Kniaz
27. Marshall County, Patrick Caruthers
28. Marshall County, Jesse Bedwell-Sean Cordes