Graves County man charged in double fatality pleads not guilty
Nov 08, 2011 | 1391 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
By Jody Norwood

Tribune-Courier News Editor

jnorwood@tribunecourier.com

BENTON – A Graves County man charged in the deaths of two Benton residents entered a not guilty plea in Marshall County Circuit Court Monday. Michael Williams was charged with two counts of manslaughter following an accident on U.S. Hwy. 68 in Palma that claimed the lives of Kaytlin Lamb, 21, and Michael Hoy, Jr, 34.

Authorities contend Williams was driving under the influence at the time of the crash.

Earlier this month, a Marshall County Grand Jury returned two counts of second degree manslaughter. In returning the indictments, Commonwealth Attorney Mark Blankenship said the Grand Jury took into account evidence that everyone in the vehicle at the time of the accident appeared to have been under the influence and were with Williams willingly.

Second degree manslaughter is a Class C felony which carries a penalty of 5-10 years imprisonment, with potential for parole after 20 percent of the term.

On Monday, Williams’ attorney, James Burkeen, aske the court to consider reducing the bond in light of the charges being reduced from murder to manslaughter.

“The grand jury has returned counts of manslaughter, second degree,” Burkeen said. “We ask the court to consider a $15,000 cash bond or a $30,000 property bond.”

The Commonwealth Attorney’s Office requested bond remain the same. Judge Dennis Foust said he would consider the request.

Williams remains lodged in the Marshall County Detention Center as of presstime Monday.
Weather
Click for Benton, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis